I am most very definitely NOT a dressmaker - leaving aside that fact that my mum IS a dressmaker and any attempts in the past have been swiftly sorted by mum, I have issues with following instructions!
If you've read many posts on this blog you will know that I prefer to look at a finished item and have a go at making it myself rather than read instructions. (A quick look at the SLIK and Quick tab on this blog show 30 odd items, of which at least 3/4 are where I've "re-invested the wheel" rather than follow instructions!)
But, I've been seeing lots of basic tunics on Pinterest, and as well as Nessa who sews a lot, Janine has recently made a tunic, and I finally decided to take the plunge and take a departure into dressmaking.
I remembered Clothkits from childhood, and had heard they were trading again, so asked Mr Google, and found their website. What I *remembered* were dresses etc printed onto fabric, like this:
What looks like fuzzy lines are the cutting lines for different sizes.
So that's what I expected when I ordered this
What I got was *real dressmaking* stuff! fabric, paper pattern, thread and oh good grief, a ZIP! All included so I had no excuse not to start!
I didn't want to use the lovely linen on my first attempt as I'm not a standard size, so I used some donated fabric and gave it a go (do excuse Niki's bedroom as my backdrop, she has the only even half length mirror in the house)
I need to talk to mum about a few alterations, but I'm rather chuffed that (a) I followed all the instructions - they were really well written, and (b) noticed that the zip was optional (phew) and (c) there was no un-sewing necessary and (d) the pockets and top stitching went fine
Get me - I might be a dressmaker's daughter, but I think I just did some dressmaking!
I started this blog for me - it expanded to show BFF Jackie what I was doing - and a few others have invited themselves too - everybody welcome! Mostly about patchwork, with random comments about embroidery, family and life in general, come on in, put your feet up, and I'll put the [virtual] kettle on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
August 2026
At last the crazy heat seems to be behind us, and now we head into September But first here is photo furtle evidence of my August Jackie an...
-
Hi thanks for coming to the new blog!! This week I have been crocheting . . . (no idea why the bottom line isn't straight) I'm lovi...
-
I have a hexies and triangles project I work on at mother-in-law's. I had an idea for an arrangement: there is a blue owl in the centre ...
-
I was loading up my Blogger page to create a post when I noticed a spike in my views I then noticed a new 'traffic source' of www.fr...





No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond