Saturday, January 24, 2015

2015 January (middle)

 










Update on Lisa

Lisa's been gone now for over 2 weeks: Sydney first and now she's on her way to Melbourne with friends - a long drive but they are taking it slowly: sleeping in the cars

I thought I'd share a few of her pics and messages:

 Doesn't it look and sound glorious


 But I wasn't quite so impressed when this message arrived a few hours later

And it's some consolation to know the weather isn't *always* perfect!

Still, it sounds as if she's having a great time - and doesn't miss us half as much as we miss her (if at all) . . . but I suppose it's meant to be that way eh?


What's a Girl to Do?

I had a bit of a "bleugh" afternoon yesterday, and left a friend's feeling a bit down, so I needed cheering up.

 

Can you guess what I chose?

 

I needed something very cheerful - and preferably calorie free!

 

I bought these three:

I pondered for a while, then used one of them with some stash Kona solid to make this:

 

Her husband still has cancer, and I still feel a bit bleugh, but I made something pretty, so that helps a bit

 

And I have the bright stripy fabric to make something else, probably lined in yellow. :-)


Concluding Consequence

We have reached the final swap in the Richmond and Kew Consequences Round Robin . . . And I can't show you what I'm going to be working on!

 

I've finally received a quilt started by someone that I know, that I adore, and whose work I really love, but who I know checks in and reads my blog, so much as I'd like to show you the (fab!) strips that have been created by the previous ladies, all I can show you is the scrummy fabrics I can work from

 

Hi Plum - you didn't really think I'd spoil the surprise did you? You have to wait until the first week of February, and so will any other visitors to the blog!


Great Gifts

Yippee, Jackie is here for a long weekend - we've been shopping and baking and discussing sewing plans! And sharing (belated) Christmas goodies.

 

My pressies for her . . .

 

And my goodies from her . . .

 

Lucky us eh?


Saturday Shopping (Binding Bought)

There is a possibility that I have plenty of fabric, there are people in this house that suggest I even have too much . . . But I did need some binding fabric for some of the quilts done over the Christmas hols, so Jackie and I felt we had a legitimate excuse to go fabric shopping!

Binding for this quilt

And for this one

And for this one

So I'm now ready to bind :-)


One Thousand Posts

Thanks to all of you who entered my little giveaway: the winner has been randomly thingied and (lucky for one) number 13 came up.


Congratilations Pricilla -  have emailed you - let me have your address so I can send it off.

Ah yes, 'it', the prize? Do you want to know what it is? It's this little sewing case.


It's based on this from Pinterest:

I couldn't find instructions but I reckoned I could work it out: Cut card in heart shape and half heart shape for inside of each section, and for the outside of each section, plus the pocket

 

 Use the card pieces as a guide to cut wadding for outside of each section
 

Use the card again to cut fabric slightly bigger than each piece of card
 
Glue card (to wadding where applicable) to fabric, gathering the curved edges to ease smoothly around the curve.

Start sewing together with whip stitch, shoving lace between the sections as applicable to create the hinges

Heave a sigh of relief that it's finished!


I do hope Pricilla likes it!


Weekend Workshops

OK, maybe not Workshops in the usual use of the word, but last weekend Jackie and I did teach each other stuff, and tried some new-to-both-of-us projects and methods.

I will later add the Pinterest links so you can see the inspiration if you're interested, but it's far too complicated to do so when posting from a phone!  Just ask in a comment if there's anything you want to know

We made some zippy vinyl pouches

Jackie's is finished and in use!

We made some felted flowers (wet felting)

We made some bags with internal pockets and faux leather (pleather / leatherette ?) base and handles, (thanks Liz for the encouragement!!)





At least as good as a workshop eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

March 2024

An early post this month, and I think I've been quite productive this month. Chertsey Museum ladies made pin cushions in ramekin dishes ...