Friday, August 15, 2014

2014 August (first half)


Petite Post

I'm going to Festival Of Quilts next week, and will be at Deborah O'Hare's stall at 2pm Friday and Saturday if anyone is interested in meeting up (and seeing / falling in love with / buying some great dyed fabrics and project ideas!) Stall QIA21.  (I think this is the extension hall on the right hand side)


Pressies needed, Pronto!

After an early start ("taxi" service to the airport at 5am) I planned a relaxing morning before meeting friends for lunch . . . lunch for a friend's birthday . . . Sue's birthday . . . Oh flip flops, no pressie!

Inspired by people I admire, I made a notebook cover for her, and for another of the girls who's birthday is next week.

The instructions for the cover come from Plum,

the elastic for a pen came from Jackie,

and the rainbow design came from Kathy

So I cut rainbow fabrics into 1.5" strips

Joined them, and cross cut into strips

Bordered them with some sketch fabric, and cut to size


added the sleeves, and stitched and turned through


Two birthday pressies sorted in time!


Hackney Hexies

Yesterdy we went to see Lisa in Hackney Wick, east London,  to see some of the open studios as part of the http://www.hackneywicked.co.uk art festival in the area where she lives.

On the train I managed to work on a whole load of Kona steel hexies 

So now my rainbow hexies look like this (I'm aiming for something like this one)

The open studios were great,: SO many studios within a few square miles.  Lisa had heard it described as a post apocalyptic London where only artistic people have survived!  I can see their point !


This graffitied street is in huge contrast to the Olympic park that adjoins Hackney Wick.

Beautiful open spaces and loads of play equipment for the kids. This is her route to the gym and swimming pool (Olympic pool); an enormous shopping centre (Westfields, Stratford) and public transport links to wherever she wants to go!  She really is living the best of both worlds


Art Anxiety

But is it Art? We asked this question several times in Hackney Wick on Saturday.

Sometimes the answer was clear to me: no, this is graffiti not art !

Sometimes it was a bit of fun: (mine is the rainbow on the right - later in the day this was covered, I think nearly everyone had a go!)

Sometimes it was witty



 And sometimes it was pretty

There was some unusual art - these kittens had been rescued from the riverbank a few weeks ago - they were dipped in a food colouring paste to create "Art"

And bed springs used to grow flowers, and finally, a lovely wooden piece of furniture - this gorgeous table top made for Lisa by a friend

So when does graffiti become art ? For me, it's when I like it or it makes me laugh but I expect the street clean team have a different view!  



Teaching Tuesday

I was booked to teach a kids' class at Chertsey Museum today: making people or animals from wooden spoons. When I lasted checked three or four had signed up - when I got there today I found I was expecting 14!!!

They have such great imagination - just look at the creations:



I especially liked how these followed the original design

And this slightly out of season chap

(Individual photos are available at www.FunWithFabricUK.Blogspot.com)


Secret Sewing

Today I've been doing a bit of machine embroidery designing and stitching, some (secret) sewing and packing for my trip to Festival of Quilts.

Part of the box of fabric recently donated was a sort of linen / hessian fabric in a stone / beige fabric - I'm not normally a fan of this neutral shade (it was part of my school uniform at senior school) but add a bit of dark red thread and I'm loving it

But this is all I'm going to show you today


I've packed the important things:  This fab triple zipped pouch that Jackie made for me holds everything for my Rainbow and Steel hexi project for the train



Roll on tomorrow!


Secret Sewing Spoiler Alert

Yesterday's sewing was pressies for Jackie: a project bag

With this embroidered on the front 


And a pin cushion for sewing machine needles - so you can identify them if one has plenty of life left in it but you need something different for now


Festival Fatigue

We've just got back to the hotel after our first Fesitval of Quilts - my poor feet!!!

However, we had a lovely day!  We met up with Eldrid, Margaret, and Sue at Deborah's stall. (Photo on camera so I need a PC to get them onto the blog)

Today's shopping was mostly ticking things off the list:

Fabrics for the red linen quilt, buttons for a waistcoat mum knitted me, and lace to lengthen a denim top.  Additionally I found a stitch ripper with a rubberised end for gathering up the scraps of thread (thanks Katy for the suggestion) and some soya wax (I'll let you know how successful it is!)

I also got Kona steel and white for two in- progress projects, and thermofix red paint plus a new silk screen.

Fairly restrained!  I wonder what tomorrow will bring!

PS, thanks to Jackie for this fab wide mouthed bag , perfect for the next stage of rainbow hexies


Shopping Show and Tell

Now that I'm home and have recovered from walking *hundreds* of miles (my feet tell me I'm not exaggerating much) I can show you day 2's shopping haul:

The Warm Company were giving away wadding (batting) in exchange for an email address: Warm and White on Friday, and Soft and White on Saturday - thank you, I'll have some of that!

There was a stall selling 150cm wide fabric cut into 50cm lengths (so nearly the size of 3 FQs) for £3:50 a piece, so I bought some red and whites from them, and I picked up some £1 FQs that will be great for Sunday school.

I also got some picture FQs, some buttons and some beads, some sea fabric for a lighthouse quilts I've been asked to make, and that wibbly pink frame is a pompom maker - the ladies on the stall made it look really easy!

I think that's about all :-)

I did take some photos of some fab quilts - they are on the Private Use page


Quick Rewind

I've finally found the cable so I can download the camera photos from Festival of Quilts.  I've added some more quilt photos to the Private Use tab, and here is the photo of the bloggers I managed to meet up with:


From left to right: MargaretSue, Jackie (who doesn't blog, but is frequently mentioned here), me and Eldrid who blogs as KameleonQuilt.

 We met at Deborah's (the blue hare) stall and her daughter kindly took this photo (thanks Charlotte) but Deborah herself was busy at the time, so didn't get included in the pic.  It was lovely to meet / see you all and put faces to the names.


A Rose by any other name

Does this quilt design have a name?


I think of it as a LJR7 quilt:  one group of strips is made up of pieces where the border is a L shape followed by a J, L J L J etc, while the alternate strips are made up of r, 7, r, 7 etc.  (At least that's the conversation I have with myself as I'm sewing the strips together!)

Anyway I've added the white borders to two sides of all my rainbow charms and pressed them, and I *think* they are still in the right order so I'm ready to LJ and R7 the strips


Charmed, I'm sure

 So my LJ 7R quit has been coming together well

 Except somewhere along the line I forgot to alternate!

Unsewing is very boring, but now my strips look like this

Ready to be pressed. 

Please tell me if you can see any other mistakes!


Is Benta Barmy?

Based on the comments of yesterday's quilt you reckon I'm losing the plot!

So this is an LJ R7 quilt because, as you (I) go down the columns assembling the blocks I say to myself, "join an L then a J then  another L and another J:

Then the next column is an "r" then a 7 then an r then a 7:

This all works fine until . . .
 

And it's not just my quits - I've infected Jackie's too!

So tell me what you would call this block then?

If anyone needs me I'll be in my own little world - they know me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

March 2024

An early post this month, and I think I've been quite productive this month. Chertsey Museum ladies made pin cushions in ramekin dishes ...