Saturday, February 15, 2014

2014 February (first half)

 

Christmas Trip

No, I'm not planning to be away for Chistmas, this post is about my Christmassy Scrappy Trip Around The World (STAW)

I'd cut more strips and stitched them into blocks,

 

and I've now ironed and subcut, ready to make more STAW blocks

 

I see monotonous sewing in my future!


Christmas Choice

 I stitched all yesterday's strips together

And made myself a nice pile of ironed "25 patches"

But having lost all decision making skills, I cant decide whether to arrange my STAW blocks with sashing

or without

Any thoughts?

Either way I will have something very different to the traditional / usual STAW patchwork, but something that will be cosy and snuggly next Christmas!



Broom Farm sewing

Just two ladies at Broom Farm this week - Cara was spending time with husband before he gets shipped off to Afghanistan - we will be thinking of you Steven! Keep safe xxx

Bekka has been adding to her ticker tape quilt

And Lauren's Monster Quilt is coming along at a great pace

 Meanwhile I was working on the House Group String blocks



Time to Tessellate

I took my tessellated units

And stitched them together in pairs, and I pressed them, and now I've run out of time to blog. 

I'm sure you understand

Night night x


Sewing at School

We only have one week left of the evening sewing class at school, sadly :-(

But there are some finished projects (Tara's bag, and Tracy's tooth pillow), some nearly finished projects (Kate's quilt) and an 'I know what I'm doing' project (Tara's umbrella appliqué / embroidery) so we're all doing well 


Customers, Crazy Cakes (and cr@p)

While I've been plodding through a box of these, 
(and trying to ignore another box from another customer, why do they come at the same time?), Niki and her friend Becca have been the creative ones:

Ladybird and tortoise cakes

With wild and wacky insides

And they were yummy!!!  

On not such a happy note, (after starting to write this post) mother-in-law fell yesterday and broke her hip, and we've had a warning from the environment agency that water levels locally are going to reach flood levels so I may not get much chance to sew, blog or read your blog posts in the foreseeable future!   

Comfort food is so necessary at the moment, pass me the cake tin


Blackboard Basics

I had a blackboard in my kitchen for a shopping list - we write stuff on it as it runs out, and before I go shopping I take a photo of it on my phone, and use that at Tescos.

The blackboard was pretty

But now my kitchen as *finally* been tiled, it didn't really go any more


So I attacked it with some blackboard paint, and now it fits in much better


I also attacked some storage boxes I use for fabric - if only I'd used decent masking tape rather than poundland stuff these would have worked really well


Finishing Felt & Floods

Last summer Jackie and I went on a felting course, and made these

I never really felt the love for my, um, creation, (the red one) but loved the finish of Jackie's (the pink one)

I eventually snipped some holes in the top of mine, and pulled them about a bit, but it was still a strange shape:

(excuse the after photo posing as a before photo!)

So I took a deep breath and cut it in half, leaving me with (as best I can describe them) a fez and a crown.

Now I have stitched a circle of red felt onto the 'crown' 

and its now a bowl I'm delighted with


And I'm left with a fez.  I may be snipping holes in that too in the summer (it involves water too, and is best done in the garden!) but at the moment it's great for empty cotton reels!

Admittedly, it wasn't ON my to-do list but at least it's half finished!


PS Just thought you might like to see my attempted journey to work today,
That blue dot was me, an hour from home, and a mile from home!  Heading for the *bad* traffic - so I turned round and came home

and joined some neighbours on traffic control on the main road at the end of my lane ... 

SatNavs were still telling people to go through our village to get to Datchet (2.5 miles away), despite the BBC showing that Datchet had become one big village pond, so people weren't going to get there


Sorbet Squares Extra

A while ago I made a flimsy that I called sorbet squares.  It looks lovely from a distance, but I'm not very pleased with the points: I used too big a stitch and some seams are pulling open.


So today, in between manning the road to slow down nutters driving through floods, and answering work emails (I worked out how to hack into the system from home), I had a little  play with my embroidery software:

I created this flower applique, and used some of the left over sorbet squares to experiment with adding some flowers which coincidentally hide the dodgy seams

I really like these!  So now I'm ready to finish the quilt, AND make a cushion to go with it

Another day!

(I think I may have to go back to work tomorrow: the floods levels are dropping in my village even though you are probably seeing lots of Wraysbury on the news still - and we did get a visit from some very nice (young) army lads checking up on all the residents, they must have wondered what the fuss was about - in the sunshine, walking on practically a dry road!!!!)



Gorgeous Gifts

With all the flooding around here, and Mother-in-Law breaking her hip (they replaced it yesterday, and she was up walking with the physio today!!!!!) I completely forgot to to tell you my mum is now back from her seven week trip to see my brother in Oz, and she came bearing gifts!

Belated birthday pressies from Brother & S-i-L:


And a 150 piece charm pack from mummy, all near solids from Jenny Beyer.
 
Both fabric packs are at the stroking-and-fondling stage at the moment - the button box has a whole load of small crafty bits in it


Prototype Pillowcase bag #1

I needed to make a prototype for a bag I'm teaching next month, and I've taken stage photos and though this might be a good place to save the instructions!


It's loosely based on my slouch bag, but is more of a green version as it takes just two unwanted pillowcases rather than new fabric.

So: get two unwanted pillowcases of a similar size

Fold them together, lengthwise so the openings are at the top and the fold is along the left side

Eyeball half way up the left side, and 1/3rd in from the top edge: draw a curved line linking these, repeat on the right side

Cut along these lines

The pillowcases should open out looking like a vest top

Continuing the idea of a vest top, pin a 'neck' of one to a neck of the other RST (right sides together) and then pin the other two necklines together the same way. Stitch along each neck, including the straps that lead to and from the neck

Now pin the 'armhole' of one to the arm hole of the other, RST.  Repeat, but (IMPORTANT) on one only stitch half way towards to top of the strappy bit. 

Sort it out so you can see the bag shape

This next stage is referred to a 'birthing' and at some stage you will realise why.  Put your fingers into the gap at the strap that wasn't fully stitched.  Reach in as far as you can, and grab, (if you can) one of the bottom corners of the bag, and start to put it through the gap.  Wiggle, twist, tug, just keep going until the whole lot has some through.  Sort it out again so the bag shape is clear.

Slip stitch or top stitch the open strap so it matches the others.

Decide whether you prefer the straps to be joined left to right, or back to front.  (I prefer L to R).  Join the straps however you prefer (fold and slip stitch, overlap, overlap and button, etc) and you now have a reversible bag.

Ideal for sewing projects, shopping, library books, anything really; it's comfy in your hand or on your shoulder, holds loads, is strong enough to carry quite a bit, and in this case cost nothing other than thread and electricity!!!  I always seem to have orphan pillowcases (how does that happen) and at least I know this bag is fully washable!!!!

Enjoy


Community Creating

Our two villages have had a stressful week - we've been hit by the rains and storms that the rest of the UK has experienced, and also been hit by the threat of, (and in some cases the reality of) flooding and evacuation.  Add to this the work so many have put in manning the help desk phones, coordinating the army, the police, the fire & rescue staff, the RNLI crews and the village volunteers, and volunteering to man road blocks, cook meals for the volunteers and make endless cups of tea and coffee.

Stressful indeed!

So I hoped that it would be fun for them to come to Kids' Crafty Church for a bit of making this afternoon.

I think it was:  We had 10 families, 19 children, and lots of making.  The children particularly enjoyed making Thank You cards for the soldiers and other volunteers who "saved our village"


Who not go and see all the photos on the Fun With Fabric blog



"Without ART, EARTH is just EH"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

2024 April

 I have a few customers who make patchwork quilts and are very organised about wanting labels for them, so I've been doing some designin...