Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2012 May second half

 

Plodding and Pottering

I haven't managed any significant makes in the last couple of week as when I haven't been trying to recreate my kitchen, I've been spending most evenings embroidering school uniforms for a customer - but between hooping, un-hooping, snipping, etc, I have managed a bit of sewing, so I thought it's time to show:

Endless Ribbon has now become twin quilt tops for the Siblings Together charity: similar to one another, but different, they both have lots of I-Spy quilts in them

The hexies that I have been working on downstairs have reached almost the end of the light fabric: there are three "Grandmother's flowers" here, and two large random hexies, and there will be one or two more in the mainly dark fabrics.  These will probably become back and front of a hexi bag, and others appliqued onto some Kona Coal for a table runner


Having got close to the end of the hexi fabric, and needing a project to take on the train on Monday, I cut some small pictures from fabrics at Broom Farm, and tacked these I-Spy hexies.  No particular plans for these, but it will take a while to get enough to make anything anyway

a few posts ago I posted a pic of a height chart of the baby at Chertsey Museum


but didn't post a pic of the finished quilt that was made from the other blocks made by the ladies there

And I embroidered her name too

Not too bad going for two weeks eh?


Plodding and Pottering

I haven't managed any significant makes in the last couple of week as when I haven't been trying to recreate my kitchen, I've been spending most evenings embroidering school uniforms for a customer - but between hooping, un-hooping, snipping, etc, I have managed a bit of sewing, so I thought it's time to show:

Endless Ribbon has now become twin quilt tops for the Siblings Together charity: similar to one another, but different, they both have lots of I-Spy quilts in them

The hexies that I have been working on downstairs have reached almost the end of the light fabric: there are three "Grandmother's flowers" here, and two large random hexies, and there will be one or two more in the mainly dark fabrics.  These will probably become back and front of a hexi bag, and others appliqued onto some Kona Coal for a table runner


Having got close to the end of the hexi fabric, and needing a project to take on the train on Monday, I cut some small pictures from fabrics at Broom Farm, and tacked these I-Spy hexies.  No particular plans for these, but it will take a while to get enough to make anything anyway

a few posts ago I posted a pic of a height chart of the baby at Chertsey Museum


but didn't post a pic of the finished quilt that was made from the other blocks made by the ladies there

And I embroidered her name too

Not too bad going for two weeks eh?


Mistakes don't matter

Do you remember the quilt I made where I embroidered Henry instead of Harry?  Well I made a replacement for Harry, but still had a Henry quilt that was more or less homeless.  There have been several comments since when I have embroidered a name on anything, and to be fair they were justified, but I am very happy to say that  a really good friend of mine became a grandma yesterday - and the baby is being named after grandad . . . and while we all call grandad 'Harry', he is really Henry, as is the baby, so the quilt now has a home to go to!

I spent most of the weekend getting stressed about my impending Adult Education OFSTED inspection (which didn't happen today, grrrr) but I did manage a bit of therapeutic sewing.

One of the Sibling Twins has been quilted

And the quilt for Niki's friend Laura's 18th had been assembled and quilted (my QAYG method) onto this seriously yummy green-and-white-spot fleece


And I was delighted to see this quilt in my issue of Popular Patchwork which came out today. 

I tell the students that mistakes don't matter, and this shows that even professionals make mistakes

The square outlined in yellow is twisted the wrong way!


Am I having an Affair with my Postie?

Maybe husband hasn't noticed how often Mr Postman comes to our front door - if he I'd I'm sure he's have his suspicions:

The first visit was to bring me a package from the lovely (and tolerant) Meg at New Threads.

The conversation went "Can I have a box of Aurifil please . . . but can I have a mixture of 40 and 50 weight please . . . and can I choose the colours , . . . and no I don't have numbers for all the colours . . . um . . .  not quite off white, more a milky coffee sort of colour . . ." all this by email about 11 o'clock at night - Meg you are customer service personified!

The second visit from Mr Postie came from the equally lovely Katherine at Quilt Direct - again email convos at a time when people should be having their own life, not helping me ponder the great questions such as What size hexi templates do I really want, and is my fabric big enough?, add to that a big can of lazy baste, or 505 at it's trading name, and giving me advice too, fab!


Thirdly, a super quick delivery from Jaycotts, with more Brother orange thread  for the pumpkins I am embroidering (plus spare black, and some new needles)


Finally the word has obviously not gone out to ignore me as an online customer . . . I first met Cindy when she hosted the Goodie Swap last year, and have been a regular visitor to her blog ever since.  She has now opened Fluffy Sheep Quilting as an on-line store, and I managed to mess up my first order (totally my fault, not hers or the site's fault), so THAT took emails to sort out, but was so worth it . . .

I got the Kona Coal and the dark Violet as I think both will look fab with the hexies, thank you Cindy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

March 2024

An early post this month, and I think I've been quite productive this month. Chertsey Museum ladies made pin cushions in ramekin dishes ...