Sunday, September 15, 2013

2013 September (first half)


Liberty Love

A while ago Jackie gave me a pack of yummy Liberty fabrics


And that gave me the excuse to buy some more

(I'm sure you understand)
Well these pieces were 6 inches by roughly 10 inches. I had a lovely time chopping them into 6 x 3 pieces

and sewing them back together, and quilting them to a piece of fleece


And then sewing them into a bag shape


It's too late now to continue, so I'm putting it away, and closing down the sewing machine and the computer, but next time I get an urge to do some bag making I'm halfway there :-)



A Fairy Tale

Once upon a time, a mummy and daddy with two little girl employed an Au Pair, Slavka, to look after the children as they both had to go to work.  For the girls it was like having an amazing big sister, and for the mummy and daddy it was a great arrangement.  Even after the Au Pair left 18 months later the family kept on touch: by letter, then by email, then by Facebook.

14 years later the oldest daughter turned 18.  She arranged a party in a nightclub and invited everyone she knew on Facebook.  The Au Pair was due to take a study weekend that weekend so choose London for her study centre, and came to the party.

The oldest daughter also invited her two cousins (who happened to be of a similar age to the Au Pair), and as a result, oldest cousin and almost-big-sister fell in love.

Last year they had a baby, and this year moved house . . . and as if there wasn't enough happening at the time, they also decided to get married . . . six week later

I'm going to guess that you've guessed that the daddy and mummy are Brian and I, the two little girls are now all grown up

And we spent yesterday with the families at the loveliest wedding we've been to for a very long time


 



Congratulations Scott and Slakva, and thank you for a fab day: wishing you the very best of Happy Ever Afters

xxxxx


Fifteen Minutes of Fun

Even when there isn't really time to sew, sometimes there is a need to sew,  maybe it's a bit of therapy, maybe it's physiotherapy, maybe it's just as excuse, but whatever, I do try and sew whenever I can

The very lovely Fiona who blogs at Celtic Thistle, is making a lovely scrappy quilt.  Using 2.5inch squares and scrappy triangles (saved from joining binding strips) she is joining them like this

She has plenty of strips made up (!) but needs plenty more

(She has about 270 squares, but needs 589!!!)

Back in June I was involved in making charity quilts with the Richmond & Kew Quilters.  The group I was working with was making a Jelly Roll Race quilt: I sat all evening joining 2.5" strips into one long ribbon, while one member of the group sorted the strips, another snipped the triangles and a third pressed all the seams: similar things were happening at other tables around the room.

I brought home lots of of JRRs in various stages of finish and have been working on them on and off over the months since.  Last weekend I remembered we were meeting again soon, so one day last week I started gathering my stuff to take, (flimsies and quilt tops) and discovered a batch of strips that hadn't been started.


So my daily fifteen minutes of fun over the last week involved chain piecing strips together

Snipping triangles (all coming your way Fiona)

And then joining and joining and joining until I had another flimsy

So I've got three flimsies looking for volunteers at the meeting to press / baste / quilt / bind, and I've found one that just needs binding, and I'm fairly sure there is another one downstairs either finished or at least part bound.

Added with all the others we should soon have a great collection of quilts ready to go to a deserving charity


Happy Hexagonning

Is there such a word as Hexagonning?  Maybe not, but that's what I've been doing anyway!

A pack of these




And a pack of these

And an evening at Richmond & Kew quilters followed by an evening too tired to do much more than veg out in front of a TV leads to this


Yummy yummy yummy! 

No I don't know what I'm going to do with these, but yes, I did get a second pack so there will be two rainbow hexi quilts in my future!!!!


To unsew? Or not to unsew?

At the end of last month the Northern Lights Project was unpicked and sent to the Thinking Step in disgrace.  It was to sit there and think about what it had done and not to comeback until it was sorry.

Well it did come back and apologise, and so I pressed and stitched and pressed and stitched, and I was happier about it this time, its still not as curved as it should be, but with quilting I think it will be OK

This is the original photo, the finished wallhanging will be much wider, but at the moment I'm just working on that curve
 

I was wondering whether to FMQ around the swoop, to enhance that, and that maybe would blur the harsh angles, or should I FMQ vertically to enhance that effect instead?

I thought I'd zap a photo to Jackie to see what she thought, the flash was on auto, and THIS is what I see

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'd been working on this in artificial light - you know, one of those light bulb that takes ages to glow bright, and it had looked fine, but under the flash see that I'd forgotten to continue with the very dark grey in the middle of the two sections of lights

Any suggestions appreciated


Northern Lights Project

Thank you Plum and Nicky for the applique suggestion, the missing blocks have now been sorted and anchored with the FMQ that has been added to all the northern lights

I'm quite pleased with the result (left grey is original, right grey is appliqued)

I wanted to add the railings of the boat, as we saw the lights from the deck.  I tried piecing using the dark grey and black, but couldn't get the railings dark enough, after all we saw them late at night.  Brian suggested using black stitches, and I think it has worked

I also wanted to show a couple viewing the lights: my FMQ is certainly not up to creating this, but I am capable of creating a machine embroidery design to represent them, and although it took 39 minutes to stitch (probably my longest design) I'm really please with how this has come out

So it's not finished yet, but its starting to look as if it may actually be finished by the deadline of Fiona's Mini Quilt competition

Grab button for Celtic Thistle Stitches

So there is Bargello, FMQ, machine satin stitch, and embroidery machine features!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

March 2024

An early post this month, and I think I've been quite productive this month. Chertsey Museum ladies made pin cushions in ramekin dishes ...