Monday, October 15, 2012

2012 October first half

 





Happy Hexies (I Spy Stars)

These are one of my "in front of the TV" projects.  Each side measures just 1".  I will end up with a pieced hexi with 7" sides and will then bulk it out to a usable size. (and will probably have a total aversion to hexies and paper piecing!)


Bowled Over 3

*MORE* bowls!!!


Time to get back to the UFO list maybe!


Perfect Post



Last week I received a Bee Block from Nicky, Mrs Sew and Sow, she's based in the UK.  Today my first international star block arrived, from Cindy who blogs at Tops to Treasures 
 
Star of Africa

Not only a fab star, but a lovely collection of goodies fell out of the envelope too, thank you thank you thank you Cindy!!!!



This month's Fun with Fabric at Chertsey Museum saw Jacqui teaching us how to make Padded and Raised Work - this was our inspiration piece. 

If you want to see the Chertsey ladies' Show and Tell work - their creations in the last month - click over to FunWithFabric


Perfect Post 2

And today postie brought me *another* super squishie -  this African Bee is such fun!!!

This block was from Patti who blogs at Retired to Quilt (doesn't that blog name alone make you jealous!)

Patti sent me a fab star block staring Anne of Green Gables

And she added some goodies too, including scrummy honey, and a beautiful card, thank you thank you thank you Patti x x x


This month we are all making blocks for Nicky.  She has asked for  blocks inspired by literature from our neighbourhood.  Does anyone know of any literature based around the Thames, or Windsor, Slough, or Staines?  I've got as far as John Betjamin's poem about bombs falling on Slough or Ali G from Staines - there *must* be something better!


Marbling Mess

I've done marbling onto paper with the children before, so when I saw this kit recently for marbling onto fabric I bought it straight way


I'd forgotten how much preparation there was - you need to make a sort of jelly for the paints to float on, and that take 24 hours.  Then I didn't read the instructions properly at all so didn't prepare the fabric, or dilute the paints.

But it didn't stop God Daughter and I having a GREAT time making a marbled mess!




Flimsey Finishes

OK, not actually *finishes* . . . but one flimsey has been pieced and pressed,
 
This one has been hand pieced,it was my summer holiday project and I've now used up all my I-Spy 8x4" fabrics.  I have sashed the blocks (or made mortar for the bricks) with Kona Charcoal Solid - I LOVE working with Kona


And another flimsey has been basted, quilted and bordered, so just needs binding




Perfect Post 3

A third squishy arrived earlier this week, but I haven't had the opportunity to get to the PC and load the photos


This came from Irene in Guatemala, her needlework, as well as her imagination, is amazing.


The flower is the Mohja Blanca (white nun) and is the national flower of Guatemala, you can click on this picture of her letter to read more about it.

She also mentions in her letter these additional fabrics she very kindly sent me, as well as  a very useful sized purse


Thank you Irene, thank You!!!!!!


Perfect Post 4 & 5

Yes, today I actually have TWO packages to show you, one more liberated star from my lovely friends at the Star of Africa Bee, and a goodie bag of I-Spy quilts from the just as lovely Avril at Stitchin Science

The Bee Star star block has a flag in the middle - do you recognise it?  (I didn't!)  It is the Latvian Flag, and the block comes from Fiona who sent it from Riga in Latvia,

Fiona also snuck in a fridge magnet and a bar of chocolate - I even managed to photograph it before it, um, evaporated.  Thank you Fiona, all very much appreciated :-)

And these I-Spy goodies will be put to very good use, thank you Avril



Warm Charm Stars

If you . . .

Take a scrummy Charm Pack of warm colours


Remove the cream and tan ones which don't blend as well as the others, chop the cream ones into 4 tall thin triangles

Stitch the triangles onto one corner of the charms

Actually plan a top based on the colours and blocks available

 Lay them out on the design wall bed and check you still like the design

Use numbered pins to identify each row

 Stitch the blocks together in rows

And then stitch the rows together, you get this top of random stars,

and a very contended feeling.  Thank you Jackie for the very inspiring fabric x x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting: I don't always get notified that you left a post, so apologies if I don't respond

March 2024

An early post this month, and I think I've been quite productive this month. Chertsey Museum ladies made pin cushions in ramekin dishes ...